Sunday, September 25, 2011

sketchbook anchor wall art

IMG_0563
I am happy to report that baby preparations around the house are over and it feels good! I hung the last of the art on the walls of her room and I thought I would share this easy little project that my husband and I collaborated on a while back.

I have shared in previous posts that the theme/colors of the room are all inspired by our passion (that we can't wait to share with our daughter)- the ocean. One day I had the idea to create an anchor that looked like a sketchbook drawing to hang on the wall in a grouping of ocean art.


IMG_0864
I started out getting my ideas down on paper and then hit up my husband for a little help


IMG_0520
While my husband works by day as a structural engineer he is a SUPER talented artist and can draw anything- see more about him here. We like to collaborate on creative ideas and projects and this was a perfect project!



IMG_0525
We used thick water color paper and he drew a large version of my anchor sketch and gave it perfect proportion and dimension (something I am NOT good at!) and then handed it off to me.


IMG_0528
I filled the drawing with watercolors.


IMG_0528
Added shading and layers of color.

IMG_0530
And then I used a black pen to add details.


IMG_0531
IMG_0532
Next we cut out the anchor


n
and glued it to a scrap piece of cardboard. While I would have loved to have created this project from a big piece of scrap wood- it will be hanging above the changing table and I wanted to keep things light weight on the wall.


IMG_0537
We cut it out of the cardboard and add black acrylic paint around the edges.


IMG_0861
Last, I added a few more black lines and details.


IMG_0537

IMG_0565
Then we hung it on the wall in the middle of a grouping of ocean inspired photos and art.


IMG_0548
IMG_0545
IMG_0557


40 comments:

Kathie said...

I think your anchor in the middle of that grouping of pictures is fabulous. I love the way it turned out!! What a great idea.

Unknown said...

very very cool! love the idea! love the ocean-y theme!

Bo said...

i love it
looks so grown up but sweet

aimee said...

i love the anchor its great the nurserys looking gorgeous, your both so talented. i bet you cant wait for the arrival of your daughter, my fiance's daughter is due to give birth today, making me a grandma at(23), im so excited xxx

the messy nest said...

Her room just looks lovely and perfect - now all you need in the picture is her!

:)

Sutton said...

I love that you're having a baby girl but the room is BLUE! Who says blue is for boys and pink is for girls?!?! I never really liked pink anyway....

Carolyn Dube said...

Your little one will be surrounded by treasures you made with love! What a blessing!

Judy Shea said...

So different and beautiful. I love that you went completely away from the traditional looks...

Lindy and Paul said...

Wow, this is one of the most gorgeous and unique nurseries I have seen, and the anchor caps it off perfectly (though the mobile is my favorite piece). I'm sure you know that newborn babies are very drawn to black and white line images, your artwork and the nursery's graphics are just perfect!

Deborah Boschert said...

the added symbolism of the anchor is nice too -- family and home as the anchor!

Rose Clearfield said...

I love the anchor in the middle of that grouping of artwork, too. It's awesome that you and your husband can collaborate like that. You seem like such a good team!

LMT said...

wow! I thought this collaboration was good, but then I checked out the surfboard one you linked to. You two are quite a remarkable duo! You're child will no doubt enjoy life in a beautiful way!

Chantal said...

I love your anchor and your daughter's room

se7en said...

Your baby's room os so sweet and creative and so reflects you all... love it!!! Hope you are getting a chance to put your feet up!!!

Unknown said...

Pretty, pretty!

Anonymous said...

VERY cool! Lucky baby!

Andra Hepler said...

Cool!!!!!!
Andra

martinealison said...

Magnifique travail...
Gros bisous

DASI GLAM said...

Alisa this is lovely and so is the whole nursery.

seo service said...

Amazing stuff,Thanks so much for this!

essay writing uk said...

Great post. Thanks a lot.

famillemarleau said...

This anchor is very beautiful. You are both so talented. Love how you decorated the room. Thanks for sharing, Johanne L.

Blue Velvet Chair said...

Alisa - do you have a post somewhere about that mobile hanging over the crib? I'd like to see a close-up of that one.
Michael

Sharon said...

Thank you for sharing your preparations for your baby girl. It has been so much fun seeing the nursery come together. It is beautiful!

Ann said...

This is so cool...your baby is going to LOVE her room! She is incredibly lucky!

astr!d said...

her room looks really cool! and this baby is gonna be georg!!! idk what nationality your husband is but his skin is the most beautiful color, i bet she will look so much like him!!

-sigh- i love little babies!

Brooke S. Rochon said...

You two are such amazing people and will make perfect parents. It seems weird to be a stranger who gets to peek into your lives, but I'm so very happy for you. Having two children I can honestly say, you are about to take the most amazing journey.

manomij said...

It looks fab! You have such wonderful ideas. I wished my husband could draw, I would love to do something together!
ManonX

Margo said...

What a clever idea!

Samantha said...

Oh I love it!!! And the painting with the ship is fantastic! What an inspirational nursery!

Anonymous said...

I love your creativity! The anchor is going to have a huge impact on your child. It commands attention.

studioGypsy said...

just perfect!! :) xo

lekyvijay said...

dear alisa i think all ur preparations are wonderful.....having a baby is unlike anyother experience.....somebody said having kids is like having ur heart or liver outside ur body all the time ,,,,time to worry ,,never mind u ll be cool
with prayers lexmi

Debbie R said...

What a gorgeous room! I wish MY room was that cool!
I am certain your little one will love it so much! My dad instilled in me his love of all things ocean and in return I have done the same for my son. That is such a beautiful thing.
Enjoy it!

Lisa H said...

This is the coolest, least cliché baby room EVER. Quick! somebody call HGTV...

Encarni said...

Hello, I love this job. the perfect tutorial. Greetings Encarni

WesternWilson said...

Ok Alisa, I had to chuckle at the Freudian implications of placing an image of an anchor over the change table...

Natalie said...

Love love LOVE this! I'm a huge fan of tattoo-inspired art, and I'm definitely going to make something like this for my house now :)

Found you via Craft Gawker, by the way. First time visitor !

Anonymous said...

you should totally sell these ... i think a lot of people would like one of these on their wall

www.ventaxcatalogo.com said...

Thanks so much for your post, pretty useful information.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails